Environmental Activities Policy
- To help achieve carbon neutrality by reducing CO2 emissions generated in business activities through the decarbonization of construction machinery and the use of green electricity
- Striving to achieve carbon neutrality, creation of a recycling-oriented society, and preservation/restoration of the environment through the development of environmentally friendly technologies, design and construction, while communicating with local communities
- Continuously educating employees and subcontractors on the importance of environmental conservation activities and preventing environmental accidents
In order to contribute to the preservation of a rich global environment, we are committed to manufacturing products which consider the impacts on biodiversity (ecosystem diversity, species diversity, and genetic diversity) . To create a future of human and environmental coexistence, we are engaged in research and development based on the technologies and expertise we have accumulated through our diverse construction activities.
Operation of Environmental Management System
Certified as a company-wide system in November 2002
External assessment (surveillance assessment)
- Date: July 15 - 27, 2022
- Accreditation Body: Management System Assessment Center Co., Ltd.
Inspection Result: Nonconformity: 0 Observations: 0 Opportunities for improvement: 1 cases Satisfactory points: 1 cases Quality and common opportunity for improvement: 1 cases Quality and common satisfactory points: 1 cases
- Date: April 1, 2022 - March 31, 2023
Inspection results: 0 corrective actions requested Nonconformity and observations: 45 cases
- In branch offices:7
- In civil engineering projects: 22 cases
- In building construction projects: 15 cases
- At Headquarters: 1 case
We conduct environmental patrols at construction sites in each branch office to minimize environmental incidents such as air pollution, water pollution, soil contamination, noise, vibration, ground subsidence, and foul odors, and to ensure zero violations of environmental laws and regulations.
Compliance with Environmental Laws and Regulations
Companies today are required to manage their business activities in an environmentally conscious manner in all aspects, including initiatives to fight global warming and waste management, and must ensure continuous compliance with environment-related laws and regulations. We strive to prevent violations of environmental laws and regulations by promptly undertaking recent revisions of all laws and regulations, such as the Air Pollution Control Act, the Law Concerning the Discharge and Control of Fluorocarbons, and the Soil Contamination Countermeasures Act.
There were no violations of environmental laws and regulations in FY 3/22.
We provide specialized environmental training to impart the necessary knowledge of overall environmental management at construction sites and the key points of legal revisions to employees. We conduct specialized environmental training every year by branch offices, and POC employees take part in the training on a regular basis(once every three years). In FY 3/23, 619 employees participated in the training. In FY 3/23, we conducted environmental training targeted for employees in sales & marketing and design engineering devisions at the headquarters, to enhance their knowledge level of compliance to environmental regulations when interacting with clients. 233 employees participated in the training.
Technical environmental training
We provided the technical environmental training, which is more far-reaching training, targeted for the Safety, Quality and Environment division staff of branch offices. The training is expected to enhance the effectiveness of branch patrols and raise the educational level of construction staff.
Environmental Preservation in Business Activities
Activity Reports for FY 3/23 and Environmental Targets for FY 3/24
Based on our "Environmental Policy," we set annual "company-wide environmental targets" based on past activity results and annual business plans, and develop environmental activities to achieve these targets.
Environmental Preservation Costs
Environmental Preservation Costs for FY 3/23
Since FY2000, we have been disclosing our environmental preservation costs as an effective means of disclosing accurate information on the status of our environmental preservation initiatives, in order to ensure the efficient implementation of environmental preservation activities and to make the most of our environmental management.
Basic items and calculation method
The environmental conservation costs are calculated according to our calculation standards based on the "Environmental Accounting Guidelines for the Construction Industry 2002" (published by the three associations: Japan Federation of Construction Contractors, Japan Road Contractors Association and Japan Dredging and Reclamation Engineering Association) and the "Environmental Accounting Guidelines 2005" (published by Ministry of the Environment).
- Business area costs are calculated based on costs incurred at work sites only.
- Upstream/Downstream costs, R&D costs, and social activity costs are calculated only for costs incurred in indirect divisions groups, such as headquarters and branch offices.
- Management activity costs and environmental damage costs are calculated as the sum of costs incurred at work sites and indirect divisions groups.
- Costs for work sites are estimated based on the figures from the sample sites excluding overseas projects and the amount of work completed during the period.
- Indirect costs were calculated for all headquarter offices and branch offices (including sales offices), excluding those incurred in overseas offices.
- The number of work sites sampled was 29 for civil engineering projects and 15 for building construction projects, for a total of 62.
*Figures are rounded to the nearest number.